Monday, October 24, 2011

Crafts for the uncrafty

My first blog post! This blog will be a place for me to share my tips, tricks, crafty before-and-afters, and, hopefully (!) the process of buying a house and making it into a home.

A little about me:
I've always wanted to have a creative outlet, but I just might be the least creative person on earth. People who can come up with an idea and see that idea to fruition amaze me; and I never thought I would be one of those people.

I've been a long time admirer of decorating shows, first TLC's Trading Spaces and then, later, shows on HGTV. In particular, I'm drawn to the shows that demonstrate decorating on a budget, creative uses for repurposed materials and thrift items. I've also become addicted to decorating and DIY blogs, such as Apartment Therapy, Thrifty and Chic, and Young House Love. They make things look so simple, creating something beautiful out of nothing!

However, for a long time I was content to drool over their beautifully decorated homes and creations, until one day I wondered, could I, Ms. Oh-So-Uncrafty, actually create.

My first project was really simple: strips cut from an old t-shirt, stretched and secured with one of the extra strips. I added a flower made from another long strip of material and some hot-glue. I was so very proud when I wore my new t-shirt scarf/necklace the next day and I was able to respond to compliments with, "Well, actually, I made this myself."

I was hooked.

My projects are slowly getting more complicated. I've upgraded to spray paint and nail guns and chalkboard paint (my favorite)! I have a dresser waiting for me to refinish it. I plan to fill my soon-to-be-purchased house with repurposed materials and bargain finds. I'm hoping to find a fixer-upper (i.e. new paint and cosmetic work;  not a new roof) that I put my own mark on.

In the coming days and weeks, I'll share the projects I've already got going, with tutorials and before and after pictures.

Thanks for checking out my blog!

3 comments:

  1. Good Luck, April! I'll add you to my Blog Roll, maybe you'll be the next Young House Love!

    Micha

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY it was about time you had a blog!!! So excited :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad to see this! I need those directions for the flowers if they are EASY! I've been making scarves from the old t-shirts, but I can't figure out the flowers, even with directions!

    ReplyDelete